Friday, August 13, 2010

Security Cameras

Good day!

Well, I'm very excited and optimistic today! My mother has decided to place security cameras inside and outside of our house. This is excellent news because it can only help us progress with this delusional disorder.  She has the constant belief that my father physically hides things from her so cameras will certainly clear up some of those thoughts (I can only hope).

These last couple of days, her symptoms have been somewhat mild. Two nights ago she did become irritated because she couldn't find her keys to her safety security box at the bank and immediately suspected that my father had taken them. She then went on about how she's tired of having all of her things hidden and that she would contact the police if he didn't give them to her.  I managed to calm her down (I've become an expert at this) and made her go to sleep (it was about 2:00am when this occurred). Yesterday was much better since my father and brother left for a couple of days to go check out apartments for my brother (he's moving away to college in a couple of weeks).

Every time my father leaves for a couple of days, things usually get calmer at home.  I always thought, 'well, there's our solution.'  But earlier in the year, my father had to be away for a month and a half and even though things started out great, they ended up miserably.  I have been the person she has trusted throughout her whole entire life.  I have never been accused of anything by her because she trusts me (which is very rare for a person with delusional disorder).  However, in that time, she began to think that I was trying to poison her because I was tired of having her around. That really upset me, to say the least.    
So, my father being away is certainly not the cure; it merely helps for a few days.

Well, I will let you know how the security cameras deal goes. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I see it'e been over a year since you last blogged, but I was just wondering how things are going for you and your mother. My heart goes out to you for having had to deal with delusional disorder since you were 2 year old! I believe my mother also suffers from this. I really started to notice something was wrong about 6 years ago (my mother was 53). In hind site; however, I believe the symptoms started much earlier. My mother has persecutory delusions also, believing her ex-husband (2nd husband, not by dad)has people monitoring her and following her 24/7. She constantly thinks people come into her house and move things around just to bug her and make her think she is crazy. She has had the best security system you could get, but she believed "they" were able to get around the security system. She also had cameras installed, but drove the security company crazy telling them the cameras were never working properly. I just wondered if the cameras helped your mother at all? Or, if you've found anything that helped? We can't get my mother to even see a doctor or a therapist. I used to be the closest person to her, but over the past couple years our relationship has deteriorated significantly. I feel so bad for her because she must feel so alone, but she makes it very difficult to be close to her. For one thing she doesn't like my husband and feels totally uncomfortable around him, which makes him uncomfortable. I think she thinks he is very mean to me and our 3 children, which is not true. She also gets very upset and even angry when I give a rational explanation for why something was moved or why that truck is parked across the road from her house etc. Anyway, let me know how things are going for you if you get a chance, and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so tempted to get security cameras for my mom however I know it will turn out the way it has for Hopeful here. It will be a waste of money just as having moved to at least 100 different cities, states, apartments has been a waste of money.She bankrupted me I have no retirement or IRA or other relatives. If I had to do it all over again I would have left when I was a teenager. When I was younger I sounded like you I thought it was all ok I was her best friend she trusted me etc. They view us as an "Angel" to make us feel so important to them we cannot leave them.We are kind people its true and in our kindness they have trained us to be good and to never think of ourselves but you will not be able to feel so good about yourself your entire life . You cannot save them I gave up 100 percent of my social interactions as a result of this. I beg of you to leave if you can. Things never change they only get worse ( right now she is yelling about drug dealer music my neighbors are playing is being ramped up to make her move). Don't be a mayter for your Mom when you are in your 40's you will hate the fact she stole your life from you. I work in a medical field and I found out my Mom wasn't the only one when someone called in reporting symptoms just like my Mother's. It is sad with the internet there is so little information on this disorder really and so few people sharing stories. This is not as rare as people think it is just that the person who is ill is SO GOOD AT HIDING IT to people they are not related to.

    ReplyDelete